CKEditor 5, available in Drupal 9.5 and required for the Drupal 10 upgrade, introduces many changes to the editing toolbar. Some examples:
- Text alignment buttons are combined into 1 drop-button.
- Number list gains a drop-button with extra options.
- Options that were previously available via a right-click menu or pop-up dialog have moved to a "balloon toolbar" that appears when you click on it in the rich text area. This includes:
- Unlink button appears when you click on an existing link.
- Media align/caption/display options, previously available by clicking the "Edit media" button, appear when you click on an existing Media image.
- Table row/column/cell options appear when you click inside a table (avoid clicking an image or link inside the table, because that will activate the image/link toolbar instead of the table one).
- Table size/border/padding options are no longer available.
- Maximize button no longer available. (Bug report)
- Non-media-image editing options is not available, tentatively. Using Media images is recommended, with Layout Builder as the recommended tool for aligning images side-by-side.
- Link balloon toolbar is missing the "Media Library" button (see below for alternate solutions).
Media Library button missing when inserting a link
The module that provides the "Media Library" button in the Link dialog is not yet compatible with the new version of the content editor (issue report).
Solution 1: Upload a document to the Media Library before you begin making edits to your content
- Select Manage > Content > Media tab.
- Use the Add media button to upload a document to the Media Library.
Solution 2: Upload a document while you're editing content, with a workaround
- Click the Insert Media button.
- Select the Document tab.
- Click Browse, select the file on your computer, and upload.
- Save the media item that is created from your file.
- Close the Add or select media modal window.
- Select text and click the Link button.
- Type the name of the file you just uploaded -- the Link dialog should auto-complete and find it.
- Select the file in the auto-complete list.
- Click the green checkmark to finish.